Let’s begin with something sweet. Why sweet because this is the first recipe of this blog and in India we have a tradition to start everything new with something sweet.
I love baking and try to come up with healthy recipes, so that I don’t feel guilty every time I indulge.
This is a quick Apple and Walnut Whole Wheat Bread with goodness of oats.
Inspired by Joythebaker
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar (can be substituted with white sugar but as I said healthy baking)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup grated apples
1/2 cup coarsely chopped apples
1 tablespoon flax seeds (optional)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2.Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, oat flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract.
5. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the grated apples, chopped apples,flax seeds and half of the chopped walnuts. (Don’t over mix)
6. Spoon batter into prepared pan and top with granulated sugar, cinnamon and the rest of the walnuts.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
8. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to cool before wrapping.
9. I enjoyed mine with a cup of ginger tea.